My organization is undergoing “yet another” corporate restructuring.
It happens so frequently that I think it is one of the deliverable or KPIs of the top management – every year they would announce some “significant corporate restructuring” to make the organization “lean, agile and responsive”.
CEO announced organizational changes in a long email and said that his direct reports would send further communication detailing out respective org structure.
So far 3 BU heads have announced their re-org. And it all sounds mumbo-jumbo to me. I cannot figure out how the Metrics would change, or be defined and how the effectiveness of re-org would be measured.
Here are some citations from various communications related to re-org (and all of it is REAL verbatim communication, not made-up!)
- Given the strategic nature of XXX business unit to our growth and success, we are moving XXX within Corporate Strategy
- I (the Chief Strategy Officer) will work closely with Mr. A (BU head), who will lead the XXX Group, to craft the right Go-To-Market strategies, and create a compelling and differentiated leadership position for us in the market as XXX experts.
- YYY channel business will also roll up within the Corporate Strategy. We believe there is strong growth potential within this business and keeping it under the CS Organization will allow us to invest the right effort in leveraging this opportunity.
- Mr J will join the Corporate Strategy team, with a global focus on select Strategic Partnerships and Channel Relations
- Mr. P will lead Corporate Marketing; Mr. Z will support me (Mr CSO) on Strategic initiatives and will have a dotted-line reporting to Mr. P
- In FY17, we executed towards our strategic intent to enable business transformation for our clients through digital innovation and driving operational efficiencies through automation, by leveraging our tools and with shift left initiatives
- Solution leaders will focus on enabling sales support, solutions & domain skills development & partnerships
- In FY17, we enabled large business transformation for our clients through consulting, innovation, and domain-led solutions.
- Over the years, we have built a solid foundation for growth with a strong leadership team, differentiated solutions, and robust delivery capabilities. We are realigning the ZZZ organization for FY18 with changes that will help us build on this foundation and accelerate business growth, sharpen our go-to-market, improve our prospect-to-win ratio and continue our heritage of delivery excellence.
- ZZZ Solutions leader will be responsible for tying together all horizontal solution and industry domain expertise to address multi-skill proposal requirement and enhance our win ratio
- The Operations leader will support the SBUs in ensuring the right talent is available to staff engagements, maintain utilization and talent acquisition as well as improve profitability through operational efficiency
- Our go-forward structure has been designed to simplify and accelerate decision making, empower leaders with end-to-end responsibility and improve our ability to realize our FY18 business goals of resuming industry leading growth, expanding profitability, enhancing operational excellence and strengthening our position as a leading Transformation expert.
- In summary, the changes we are making will enable us to function more effectively as an organization, improve our operating efficiencies, create new growth opportunities for our team members, support our clients more effectively, and capture a larger share of the market opportunity available to us.
- I am confident that with our realigned organization we are better positioned to make FY18 the best year in our history!
How does that sound in terms of meaningful, actionable and measurable strategic plan? Read it two or three times again if you “really really” want to understand the purpose of this re-org; or want to have a healthy laugh! The write-up can hold true for any re-org in any year!
There are many web pages that help you generate corporate jargon – some precisely call it as “bullshit buzzword generator” tools. Just Google this term to see examples.
Here is a Dilbert cartoon and a link to Corporate Bullshit Buzzword Generator that helps you build a catch phrase which could be thrown into any Strategic discussion.
I found another website which has taken the buzzword generator idea to a new level!
This website generates not just jargon but entire conversation! Isn’t that amazing?!
Anyways…what’s your bullshit buzzword for the day?
P.S: This reminded me of a conversation with a customer who jokingly said: You guys said you have set up a “Center of Excellence” for some of your clients. I want something extra. How about a “Center of Perfection” for me?
Well, why not? As Mark Twain once said “What’s in a name? A rose by any other name would smell as sweet”.
What? Was it William Shakespeare and not Mark Twain who said that? Even better…that just proves the point. What’s in a name?
A “Center of Perfection” would sound as sweet as a “Center of Excellence”…maybe, a bit sweeter. And the best part is: both would do nothing!
I am waiting for my day when I would announce a corporate restructuring “to create 5 “Centers of Excellence” which would roll up into a new strategic “Center of Perfection” in order to enhance our market leadership through focused differentiation using CoE/CoP as vehicles for accelerated growth!”
I knew I was made up for this B***S***!!!